The Hawk's Eye Online Newspaper

Don’t Stress the Test

Kaitlyn Zamago, Business Manager

As the semester ends and midterms approach, students grow stressed and anxious. Many are under pressure to make good grades in order to have an impressive transcript for colleges. Some students are good at managing time and preparing for the exams, but others aren’t. They may not know where to start or haven’t found a studying method that works for them. Figuring it all out can be frustrating, so here are some tips to use while preparing for your test.

Prepare Ahead of Time

Procrastination is very common among high schoolers and is often the reason why they don’t do as well as they could. Putting everything off until the last minute can cause a great amount of stress. Soon, the stress causes them to lose focus and they are no longer learning as much as they could be. Planning everything out ahead of time is a way to ensure that you are using your time wisely and getting as much done as you can. It is important to know what days you will be testing for which class. Scheduling certain study days for tests can be very helpful and will help you stay on track. Be sure to not try and review everything in one day. It is important to spread everything out so you can learn and remember as much information as you can.

Take Notes and Focus

Paying attention and taking notes in class can help tremendously when preparing for tests. Often times, teachers will go over the material that is on the tests days before you take it. Making sure you have all the information will help you when you are going back and studying because it makes it easy to know what you should be concentrating on.

Stay Organized

Making sure that you have everything in place and you know where everything is at important when studying. Organization is important because it is easy to go back and find the information you are looking for. When everything is in an organized manner, you save time trying to find things and allow yourself more time to prepare for your test.

Set Daily Goals

Setting goals before any studying session is important because it helps you focus on what you need to get done. Setting daily goals can help you manage your time and encourage you not to waste it. When you complete your goal, getting that sense of accomplishment will motivate you to keep studying and do well.

Have a Good Study Environment

Studying in an area where you know you can concentrate is an important factor in preparing. If you are in a very noisy, distracting area, it can be hard to focus at times and you won’t be fully concentrated on your work. When studying, it is important to be fully focused on your material. Finding a quiet and comfortable place can help improve your productivity levels.

Turn Off Your Phone

One of the biggest distractions around you is your phone. Every time the ringer goes off, a notification pops up, or it vibrates, all attention is directed to it. Shutting it off completely is very helpful because it ensures that you will not become distracted while focusing on your work.

Manage Your Stress

Managing your stress is the most important factor to studying. In order to be focused and concentrated, you need to know how to not let your stress get the best of you. Make sure to take a break when you need them and ask for help when you need it. Knowing how to manage your stress will be useful before, during, and after the test.

Stay Positive

Staying positive goes in hand with managing your stress. Make sure you tell yourself that it will be okay and you will do good. Being negative sets yourself up for failure. Giving yourself and others words of encouragement will improve your mood and help you no matter the outcome of your test.

Following these tips can have many great outcomes. Make sure to always be trying different things and remember that one routine doesn’t always work for everyone. Switching things up and seeing what works the best for you is the best thing you can do in order to make sure that you get the grades you want.

About the Writer
Kaitlyn Zamago, Social Media Manager

My name is Kaitlyn Zamago and I am a freshman at Northwest Career and Technical Academy. This year I have decided to join The Hawk’s Eye and Filmmakers Society because they both really interest me. I am in Media Communications so we always focus on our creativity and writing skills. These two clubs also have a big focus on those things, so I chose them to build my skills in writing. I’d like to use my journalism experience so I can have a career in media. In my future, I want to either become a news journalist or be in the movie industry writing scripts, producing, or directing films. I feel it’s really important to be involved and write for the news because it gives you great opportunities to learn about the world around you and connect with others. Journalism allows you to explore new things that are going on and write about them to a bigger audience. It is important because it helps you and the audience become aware of what’s going on.