The Hawk's Eye Online Newspaper

Future Cities

Deanna Tomasso and Kaitlyn Zamago

On January 20th, the Hawk’s Eye Online held a bake sale to raise money at NWCTA’s Future Cuties competition. What started as a fundraiser quickly turned into a learning experience. Staff was approached by a member of the Future Cities staff that offered them a chance to attend the judging of the competition.

During the event, many students in grades 6-8 competed in a competition to build a city around the 2017-2018 school year theme: the most age-friendly city. This competition required them to create a presentation, essay, and a display. The display had to include basic necessities, transportations, to target a certain demographic, and include everything from sewage systems to agriculture.

Different awards were presented to teams that stood out to the judges. Awards such as best city model, best virtual city, best essay, best presentation, most innovative moving part, most innovative energy system, etc. These awards were sponsored by schools and companies around town.

After judges viewed the teams’ display and presentations, they choose the top five. Those five teams present their project in front of everyone and the judges make a final decision. The team that wins then gets a prize and the opportunity to compete in Washington, D.C. for the top Future Cities competition.

About the Writers
Deanna Tomasso, Senior Reporter

My name is Deanna Rose Tomasso. I am in 9th grade and I’m a culinary major. My favorite subject is english, and I also participate in theater club. I joined news because I believe it will help me fulfill my hopes of attending college in the writing/journalism career. I hope to continue newspaper all throughout high school because it’s something I thoroughly enjoy doing.

Kaitlyn Zamago, Social Media Manager

My name is Kaitlyn Zamago and I am a freshman at Northwest Career and Technical Academy. This year I have decided to join The Hawk’s Eye and Filmmakers Society because they both really interest me. I am in Media Communications so we always focus on our creativity and writing skills. These two clubs also have a big focus on those things, so I chose them to build my skills in writing. I’d like to use my journalism experience so I can have a career in media. In my future, I want to either become a news journalist or be in the movie industry writing scripts, producing, or directing films. I feel it’s really important to be involved and write for the news because it gives you great opportunities to learn about the world around you and connect with others. Journalism allows you to explore new things that are going on and write about them to a bigger audience. It is important because it helps you and the audience become aware of what’s going on.