The Hawk's Eye Online Newspaper

Oklahoma Teacher Walkout

Ram Masilang, Layout Editor

Thousands of teachers in Oklahoma went to the state capital instead of their classrooms on Monday. According to the PBS, over 200 school districts in Oklahoma have been shut down as a result. These teachers are driven by the low funding the state has on its education. Oklahoma legislators have been cutting funds to its education making the state the highest in cuts for education funding. This lack of funds creates poor learning environments for students. As school social studies textbooks are severely outdated they stop at the 2009 inauguration of Barack Obama, a student tells the Washington Post.

This low education funding also has a large effect on the salaries of these teachers. Oklahoma teachers are among the lowest earning in the United States, according to a 2017 report by the National Education Association.

Although the teachers are critically hurt by low funding, David Walls, a seventh-grade teacher said, “It’s not about teacher pay raises. It’s not about being greedy and needing what I need. It’s me seeing what my kids need and recognizing that I can only do so much in the classroom.”

According to National Public Radio, just last week Governor of Oklahoma, Mary Fallin, signed measures that allowed for a $6,100 pay raise for teachers. It also included $33 million for textbooks and $18 million for basic school funding.

Though this pay raise for teachers and additional funding for education is the biggest raise in Oklahoma history, teachers are still protesting to get the changes they want to happen. This includes a $10,000 raise for educators, a $5,000 raise for other school workers and $75 million in educational funding after the state legislature only allocated $50 million, according to Time Magazine.

It is unclear if the protesting will end and if the legislature will review their funding, according to NPR.

About the Writer
Ram Masilang, Layout Editor, Business Manager

I am Ram Masilang, a Sophomore as a part of the medical professions program area at Northwest Career and Technical Academy.