Granting Winter Wishes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Granting Winter Wishes

Ethan Langit, Staff Writer

NWCTA’s Student Council is holding an event called Winter Wishes. Winter Wishes is when all students are able to nominate someone to receive a gift for this holiday season. Gifts are given out between December 10th-17th during their Mentorship classrooms.

Winter Wishes was last held in 2016. During the 2016 event, 200 people were nominated versus this year’s 750 nominations. The members of Student Council are responsible for buying the gifts. During the 2016 event, around $3,000 were spent on gifts. Winter Wishes were grouped into different categories. These included snacks (like candies and drinks), clothing, (especially popular sneaker brands), Northwest gear, school supplies, teddy bears, flowers and gift cards.

This event was originally inspired by a similar event hosted by Palo Verde High School in 2016. The event was only held once. The majority of the gifts were food and drinks. Not every gift will be received, due to the gifts either being too expensive or impractical to purchase.

Gift nominations ended on November 30th and Student Council is currently getting the gifts that were requested. Gifts will be passed out next week, so be ready to receive a gift to enjoy over the holidays.